- B.Sc. U.B.C. (1976) (combined honours in Mathematics & Physics);
- M.Sc. U.B.C. (1978) (Physics);
- Ph.D. U.B.C. (1981) (Physics and Oceanography).
- Post-doctoral: Cambridge University (Dept. of Applied Maths. &
Theoretical Physics) 1981-82; University of New
South Wales (School of Mathematics) 1983-85.
- Visiting Fellow: Princeton University (Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory) 1992.
- Professor (till 30 June 2010),
Dept. of Earth & Ocean Sciences and Dept. of Physics & Astronomy;
Chair of the Atmospheric Science
Programme, 2002-2007, 2008-2010; and member of the Institute of Applied Mathematics, U.B.C.
- President's Prize (1999), Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic
- Distinguished Scholar in Residence, Peter Wall Institute for
Advanced Studies, U.B.C., 2000.
- Fellow of the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (2010).